SC - Period pumpkin recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 1 20:52:35 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 1 Mar 00,, that lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Thank you for looking. I thought that Spanish might have adopted some New
> World squashes and pumpkins, but i don't have resources to hand and don't
> read Spanish...

It's quite possible that they did.  The problem, as I commented in my
reply to Cariadoc, is that all different kinds of gourds are lumped
together under the heading of calabaza.

> Can you send me a recipe or at least a reference to a resource,
> please? I'm making a little collection of recipes to mull over and
> maybe adapt.

A reference to a resource won't be useful, I'm afraid, if you don't read
Spanish.  Can you give me an idea what kind of recipe you'd like?
Sweet?  Savory?  Vegetarian?  Carnivorous?  There are several to
choose from, but none are currently translated into English.  (Except for
the ones in De Nola [1529], which are clearly not pumpkins, since the
cooking directions say to scrape them until they are white)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net