SC - hiding ingredients

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Mar 2 10:25:43 PST 2000

On a tangent:

At 12:08 PM -0500 3/2/00, Casey  O'Donovan wrote:

>  Especially since we offer
>so many removes during the typical feast.

1. "Remove" is not, SCA culture to the contrary, a period term for
"course." "Course" is.

2. So far as I can tell from menus, the typical English or French
medieval feast had two or three courses, each containing a number of
different dishes. So to the extent the typical feast has many
courses, that probably represents another case where the SCA is, by
implication, teaching bad history.

None of which is Casey's fault, of course, but I thought I would take
the opportunity of a single sentence that demonstrated two of the
things wrong with what we teach people.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University