SC - Re: [Trimaris] Moderated List- My Last Posting on this Matter.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Mar 2 17:43:55 PST 2000

Good Gentles,

My apologies to those I have offended on the Matter of the Cooking "Whims"
posted by HRH- I was not reacting to HRH so much as I was to the people who
posted our (fairly) private correspondence from the Cook's List to your
List, and the members from your List who posted inflammatory comments to our
List, most notably Lance, whom I have been assured is, despite his
assumption of responsibilities in your Kingdom, a relative newbie to the
SCA, and thus to be forgiven, despite himself. Perhaps his responsibilities
will help him grow in the SCA and the Dream. In the meantime, I have a
modern recipe I intend to try, modify, and rename for him, if someone else
doesn't beat me to it- if you want a copy, email me privately, as I am
attempting to be peaceable, not inflammatory on this List.....

Let me try to explain something to you. On the Cook's List, we argue about
absolutely everything, trying to hammer out the best way to do a recipe.
When we're done, and the dust settles, we're all still good friends, and we
have come to a consensus about how the recipe is to be done, with minority
opinions given due weight and respect. We're basicly a family, in Gunthar's
living room, with all the contentions that any family has, but working
together.

When we received the "Whims" which HRH posted in a public forum, we were in
the "blowing off steam" process, which is a prelude to our coming up with a
Plan dealing with the matter, in order to facilitate a sensible, courteous
reaction. Unfortunately, we got interupted in the middle of this process, by
an ignorant person who immediately flamed everybody's ire, including mine.

Please read and translate my Latin motto- if you need help, I'll be happy to
privately respond with a translation. You immediately put me into contendere
mode- personally, I hate arguments and avoid them where I can. I avoid
arguments because I have a sharp tongue and a hard head, and when I'm right,
"You can stand me up against the Gates of Hell, and I won't back down".
Unfortunately, a sharp tongue can be far more wounding than any mere steel
weapon, and thus, I try to avoid using it, but in this case, I chose to use
sarcasm as means to point up perceived iniquities, without resorting to
obscene or profane language- trust me,if I had been Really angry, not only
can I make a Sailor or a Portuguese Fishwife blush, but I can cause that
reaction in their contacts to the 6th degree.

There have been many would-be peacemakers in this thread, and I would like
to note them, and thank them for their efforts- particularly Duncan the
Mercenary, Jehanne
Aregentee, and especially Mistress Dulcia MacPherson, who has impressed me
sufficiently, that she has been added to my personal List of Peers To
Emulate ;-) You are a very lucky Kingdom indeed, to have a person of such
Quality to inspire you ;-) For you, Mistress, and to no others, do I deeply
apologize for doubting the quality of your Peers- if there is merely one of
you, that is sufficient to endow a Kingdom beyond their desserts. I realize,
that like firemen, you can't always be there when a Wildfire or a Flame War
breaks out. There are others, but since they posted me privately, I am not
free to mention their names publicly- none the less, I also thank you, too,
with all sincerity.

Another good thing which has happened, has been that I have never seen the
Cook's List so unanimous in our thoughts and actions, with nice comments
from some of the people of Trimaris included. Great idea, Trimaris, unify us
more often ;-)

I can see it now, a War between Trimaris and the Cooks List- Trimaris would
fight, and Cooks would eat- wonder how long that battle would last? And
Ronald McDonald would be on our side, in Regimental Great Kilt, and striped
socks....

However, please forgive me, if while I appreciate your sentiments, I feel
that each of you are only responsible for your own actions, and therefor you
cannot apologize for others actions, although, despite not being the
Warmongers, your role as Peacemakers is greatly appreciated.

Now, as to challenges.....

Challenges.

I have received a few challenges from certain of your number, some of whom
have challenged me while quoting the words of others, not mine. Fine, so be
it. Challenges accepted, all of them. If you wish to complete the
challenges, you will find me at this year's Pennsic, either at SPCA(was Caer
Frig) in W-10, or at Chirurgeon's Point during the Noon to 4 PM shift (some
of us have more productive things to do than to sit in camp or on the
battlefield, boasting about how much worse our testosterone poisoning is
than the next guy's ;-)- I'll be there both weeks of War- or, if you can't
find me, you may take your concerns to Duke Sir Master Master Cariadoc, King
of the East during Pennsic I, in the Enchanted Villge, during the first week
of War, or to my other second, Viscount Sir Master Ternon of  Caerleon,
First Prince of Calontir, or perhaps, if she agrees to be a second ( I
haven't got all the info she requested to her yet) to Duchess Ann de
Fontaine, Queen of Pennsic I.

I have chosen these seconds, because, considering all the intended violence
contained in your posts, I really think you folks need to learn that people
who try to fight and challenge for anything more than good fun and shtick,
are in serious danger of having their authrizations pulled.

I will warn you, that as the challenged party, I have not only the choice of
venue, but choice of weapons, and regardless of that, you're going to get
nailed with the cluebat, so as recent postings have suggested, choose your
battles carefully.

Robert, I have tried to deal with the situations as politely as possible,
and I'm hoping and asking that you pass this on to your List. If you have
difficulties with some of my phrases or phrasing, we'll talk about it- I
really am trying to comply- Gunthar, same to you.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous