SC - Re: Gunthar's Challenge

campcook at uswestmail.net campcook at uswestmail.net
Thu Mar 2 20:30:07 PST 2000

Forgive me for getting in on this a bit late and not going to the
beginning of the thread, but it sounds to me like its time for
a little combat cooking. (Hey, Mordonna, Did you get in on it at
Southern Siege?)

Premise:
Both sides of the controversy present a team of 5 cooks.  At high
noon, they get a box of period ingredients, with which to make as
many period dishes as possible.  At 5:00 pm the table is set and
both sides present their creations.  Now, none of the cooks knows
ahead of time what will be in the box. (If there is a cinnamon
allergy, that is simply not part of the ingredients.)

Judging:
The battle is decided based on criteria such as number and
variety of the dishes; presentation; period methods used in the
preparation; and quality and taste.

Details:
The ingredients for each group of cooks are identical.  Some
should present a challenge, remember, they only have 5 hours to
prepare the food.  Spices should basically be identifiable, with
a few oddballs such as cubebs and galengale, maybe one or two
more.  Put in a powder forte and a powder douce, maybe even some
herbs de provance.

Basic Ingredients (example):
salt, cone sugar, 2 1/2 lbs flour, 1/2 doz. eggs, 1 chicken,
2 lbs ground meat, 2 fresh fish, turnips, parsnips, carrots,
radishes, cabbage, mushrooms, milk, oil, honey, spice selection,
1 lb butter, currents, garlic, a bottle of good table mead.

Now go forth and have fun.  In the end everyone wins.  If I could
get the time off and it wasn't a good 3 day drive, I would volunteer to put it all together.  The only Gulf Wars I have been
to was a lot of fun with a great site.  I would love to go again.

If you want any further info, let me know.  I could set it out in
more detail.  But this should give a good idea of how to do it.
When we did it in Atenveldt, each Barony, shire or college was
given the opportunity to field a team.  Everyone I have talked
to, is really looking forward to next Southern Siege to do it
again.

Forever in service to the dream and in making it better for all,

- --
Ld. Steffan of the Close (The Camp Cook) Tir Ysgithr, Atenveldt
(Steven Cowley -- Tucson, Arizona)
Vert, three armored arms in triskellion, each maintaining a
spoon, argent, between three cooking pots Or
Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net