SC - Let them eat cake - OOP WAS : Eggplant

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Mar 3 07:35:45 PST 2000

	Adamantius wrote:
	Fair enough. I'm curious, though, since most historians agree that
her
	words in reference to what the original postor was talking about
(the
	"let them eat cake" thing, I think), were, in fact, inaccurately
	reported. Certainly the noble lady portrayed above would never have
been
	so crass as to suggest such a thing. It is reported that Her
Majesty's
	_actual_ words translate better as, "Well, why don't they eat
pastry?"
	Now, I'm not trying to bust any bubbles here, but I suspect both the
	portrayals of HM's level of sensitivity may be designed to serve
certain
	political ends.

I read (sorry can't remember where) that the word 'cake' refered to what we
in NZ/the UK would call 'damper', rather than a baked cake of fine flour,
eggs, fruit etc. That is, a poor relation of bread which is a flour and
water mix, without yeast, usually cooked over an open fire rather than baked
(come on, y'all remember your Scouting days don't you?)

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk