SC - Religious dietary restrictions

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Fri Mar 3 14:15:03 PST 2000

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:
>     In the very best Heinlein tradition, I've always felt that one of the
> requisites for graduating from college should be that you kill and eat
> something warm-blooded. (I'd suggest a member of the university
> administration, but they're all cold blooded.) I don't have a problem with
> people being carnivores, but I think they need to accept the karmic
> responsibility of that which lies on the end of their forks.

YES.  I was very happy when the Pennsic slaughtering class was
announced last year for this very reason.  I figured that, as a raving
carnivore, I owed it to the hundreds of cows etc. I'd consumed over
the years to look one of them in the eye as it went Beyond.  And this
is why I was extremely glad I took it (in spite of the psycho-emotional
upset, not to mention nearly passing out, it caused me).

I'm still too woogy at the thought to be capable of holding the knife,
but I hope to overcome that someday.  Not as a regular thing, but just
(as you say) as an acceptance of the responsibility that these animals
are dying for my sake.

Vika
catching up on 1500 messages again, *blargh*