SC - Re:Frumenty

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 19:07:24 PST 2000

Hi everyone,

I contacted my apprentice sister (Ailknn Olafsdotter)who has made frumenty
using barley and wheat berries and here is her recipes both for a small size
and for feast size. Mind you she had lots left over, so I'd say this would
stretch to about 100 gentles.

Personally, I would increase the water almost by half again. I like my
frumenty fairly wet. In addition, I would use pot barley vs pearl. Takes
longer to cook but, works well within the period scope of things.

Hope this helps the gentle looking for such recipes, Hauviette

Wheat berry and Barley Frumenty

2 GRAIN FRUMENTEY

                        serves 5                serves 75

Wheatberries                1/2 C.          8 C. (about 3.5 lbs)

Pearled barley              1/2 C.          8 C.  (4 lbs.)
Water, hot from tap             21/2 C.     40+ C.
Powdered Veg. Broth         1T.                                    11/2 C.
(Frontier)

Salt                        1t+         2T+
Browned Onion-garlic Mixture
    Onions              1 lg. (1/2 lb)      8 lbs
    Garlic                  2 cloves               11/2 lg. bulbs

    oil                 1 T.            1 T. per 4C onions being sauteed

    Butter                  1 T.            as oil
    sugar                   pinch                     pinch per batch
sauteeing

    Cut onions in 1/4 and peel.  Slice in food processor.  In 4 C.
batches place in large frypan with 1T. oil and 1 T. butter.  Cover and cook
over med. heat for 10 to 15 min. to soften. uncover and toss with  about
1/2 t. sugar,turn up the heat and brown the onions, stirring constantly  or
it will burn. Spread out in a baking dish to cool and proceed with the next
batch.  When all onions are browned , mince the garlic.(food processor
works well)  and brown lightly in a little oil. Add garlic to all the
onions and mix well.  When all is cool package in Ziploc bags and freeze
until feast day.

To make Frumentey for 5 I used a Crock -Pot.  Soak wheatberries in 3 C,
water overnight, drain.  Place wheatberries, barley, water, Veg.powder,
onion-garlic mixture and salt in the Crock-pot. Cook on Hi for 2 hrs and
turn to low for 2 more. Check if there is enough water after about 3 hr
COOKING FOR A FEAST.
Day before the feast - Soak the wheatberries in 3 C. water per cup of berries

Day of the feast - 6 hours before feast
    Drain wheatberries and place in an 18 Qt. electric roaster with 16
C. hot tap water and  3/4 C powdered Veg. broth.  Cook at 300 for 2 hrs.
Then add barley, 16 more cups hot tap water , 3/4 C. Powdered Veg. broth,
the thawed onion-garlic mixture and salt. Cook 2 hrs  at 300.  Stir
occasionally and add more water if necessary.  Adjust for salt.  Turn temp
down to 200 when nearly done and hold until feast is served
NOTES: 1 lb pearl barley = 2 cups     1 cup barley yields 3 1/2 cups cooked
    1 lb. wheatberries = 2 1/3 Cups      1 cup wheatberries yields  2
2/3cups cooked
The 18 Qt electric roaster was full with one recipe for 75.
    I served it right from the roaster on a buffet table to keep it warm

Looks like this copied OK but you will have to read carefullY because the
spacing got all messed up.  Let me know if all is well.  Love Annette