SC - Cooking Challenge

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Mar 5 08:04:17 PST 2000

> Not to be a nay sayer, but everyone on this list needs to
> remember back to the days when they were new to period cooking,
> or cooking in general.  There are those on this list who have
> a lot knowledge about such things as period preparations and
> spices.  But, there are also those on this list who are new to
> it all.

	Ok, fair enough.  I suppose it would mean doing a couple of them, with a
beginner's level one with recognizable spices (although, it never ceases
to amaze me what spices people are unfamiliar with, that I use
regularly).  Perhaps have that one be more along the lines of handing out
the specific recipes and ingredients, and then having the cooks prepare
and serve them.  That should easily get several different versions of the
same dish!  I admit, when I am thinking along the lines of having the
sources handy and letting the cooks put together their menu, I am
designing a contest that I would want to enter (and in fact have, that is
the way the set up is at mundane cooking challenges - without the
sources, of course).  I would assume that anyone entering would be aware
of the rules in advance, and would be prepared for that level of work.
Having a team with less-experienced helpers would be a great idea,
though, especially for the helpers.

> The contest was not perfect, as it was the first one of its kind
> in our kingdom.  This year, we will take what was learned from
> the first attempt and make changes that will make it better.
> The boxes were prepared based on a set of period recipes.  But
> guess what, everyone including myself came up with a different
> set of recipes.  Agreed, some were not even perioid, but the
> learning experience was priceless.

	Ok, please clarify this for me.  You set out in advance to come up with
a set of recipes for the contest?  Was this done by the organizers, or
the contestants?

> This was not an A&S competition or even a Laural's Prize Tourney.
> It was a lesson in practical application.  I don't disagree with
> the need for using original sources and recreating recipes, but
> for any of us to look down their nose at someone who doesn't
> measure up to our expectation, can do more damage than we may
> ever know.  Wham!  One more potential cook lost due to feelings
> of not being able to measure up.

	It is not a matter of looking down one's nose at those with lesser
experience.  As I said above, I would expect the participants to realize
the level of work entailed when they signed up for the competition.  I
agree, however, that starting with a beginner's level would be the better
way to go, unless you had a guaranteed attendence of experienced cooks,
used to working from the period sources.

> Personally, I have to admit that I have found this list can be a
> bit intimidating at times.  It is also very humbling.  Most of
> the entries are critiqued on some way.  If it weren't for the
> tidbits of knowledge that I gain along the way, I would say that
> its not worth my time to participate.  Just look at today as an
> example, over 200 new entries and how many of those were
> <jumping down now and ducking for cover>
> Ld. Steffan of the Close (The Camp Cook) Tir Ysgithr, Atenveldt

	Yes, well, the last few days have been the exception, rather than the
rule as far as intensity goes. :/  And true, just about everything that
comes across the list is critiqued, but isn't that a large part of the
point?  If one were just looking to publish recipes, would this be the
forum for that?  I have learned more from this list in the last 3 years
than I have in the previous 20, simply because of the diversity of
knowledge, resources and geography involved.  There's not much you can do
about personalities, but I do know this is a much friendlier list than
many other electronic forums can be.  And to get back to the original
point of this thread, why enter into a competition if you don't want to
be judged?  I am not very competitive by nature, but I personally think
this would be a lot of fun, especially if it were designed for different
levels of expertise.  fra niccolo and I are talking about resurrecting an
event done here in Meridies many years ago, called the Cook's List.  The
details are long, and I won't go into them here, but I will describe them
later.  The best thing I remember about that event, however, was the
comraderie amongst the cooks who were competing against each other.  The
atmosphere was one of helpful advice, helpful actions, and support.
There was even an award for Cook's Choice, that went to the cook selected
from his peers who was the most helpful in the preparation and activities
of the day.
	Done with the right spirit, I think it can be fun and educational, not
to mention tasty!  Keep talking, though, hashing out the ideas here with
friendly critiques is the best way to make it run smoothly when the time
comes for action!
	Christianna