SC - Re: Recipes

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Sun Mar 5 19:57:45 PST 2000

Morgan,

The Jerusalem Kugel recipe I posted recently has received many compliments.
 Here are 2 more that I have served at feasts.  People asked for the pie
recipe after eating it.

Sindara

Sweet Curry Pie
1 chicken or lamb, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium apple, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1 carrot, sliced
1 parship, sliced
2 tbs honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp crushed ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 deep dish pie shell
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs oil

Saute the onion, apple and garlic until tender.  Add vegetables and saute
until partially soft.  Add honey and spices and stir.  In a separate pan,
brown the meat.  Add the meat and raisins to apple onion mixture.  Put
filling in pies shell and cover the filling with crust.  Poke holes with a
fork on the top crust and bake at 350 until golden brown.

Chicken Gan Edan
1 chicken, cut into pieces
1 cup orange juice
2 tbs honey
2 tbs flour
2 tbs ground ginger
1 tbs ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbs oil

Brown chicken in oil and remove the chicken from the pan.  To the leftover
oil add spices, honey and flour to form thick sauce.  Place chicken back in
the pan and add orange juice.  Stew until tender and serve with rice or
couscous.

You can also make a glaze out of this for whole chickens by using only 2
tbs oil and 2 tbs of orange juice.