SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1962

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Mon Mar 6 06:02:06 PST 2000

> Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:27:52 -0000
> From: nanna at idunn.is (Nanna Rognvaldardottir)
> Subject: Re: SC - Seal-OOP
>
> Ras wrote:
> >Would it be possible for you to post he recipe for this dish? I don't think I have any seal recipes in my game collection.
>
> I´ll see if I can get that particular recipe from my hosts - I actually need it for myself because it was quite good and usually I
don´t like seal much. Nanna

> My lord Ras,
> Here is the seal recipe you asked for. Note that the seal has to be fairly young; the meat of an older animal is much coarser and tougher,
needs longer cooking and is best stewed (more like whale - no, that
probably doesn´t mean anything to you). The meat is very lean and tender
but can have an unpleasant taste unless well marinated.

> My hosts  say they often use an oriental marinade (soy, mirin, honey and various spices) but this time they used a port marinade. The recipe
is rather vague because they never cook from recipes anyway but it goes
> something like this:
>
> 2 lbs fillet of seal
> 1 cup ruby port
> some juniper berries, crushed
> lots of black pepper
> some dried sage
> some dried basil
> possibly some other herbs
>
> Marinate for two days, turning occasionally, then remove the meat from the marinade, pat it dry and fry it in some butter and oil until well
browned. Pour some brandy over the meat and ignite. When the flames die
down, it is placed in a moderately hot oven for 15 minutes or so,
depending on the thickness of the fillet. Slice thinly and serve with
whatever takes your fancy.

> Nanna

Johann vonMetten writes:
 This sounds really good!! But, where oh where would one find the main
ingredient?!?  Nanna? where are you and your hosts located?
Here in Indianapolis we have a Inuit lady in my church, her family
sent her a flash frozen seal for Christmas!! she prepared it several
ways(including RAW!!) it was all pretty good!!