SC - Preserving Food, and Crystallized Ginger

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Mon Mar 6 09:02:33 PST 2000

Hi,

  I'm looking for good recipies and uses for crystallized ginger.  One of the
interesting things buried in a candy catalogue my aunt gets for her business
was 11 pounds of crystallized ginger at $19.  I have had better candied ginger
but this is pretty good.

  My boyfriend is thinking of using some of it for brewing but even still this
is a whole lot of ginger and sugar.  Since I'm going to be spending a portion
of Spring Break with him, and lots of it cooking, I was thinking I might want
to incorporate some of it into a recipe or three.

  Speaking of which, I am also looking for good freezer and refrigerator
recipies.  That is, things which will stay nicely in a normal kitchen
refrigerator or freezer for a good long time.  I'll be making up various things
and stocking his fridge and freezer with Real Food (TM) that is quick and easy
to heat/make as opposed to the prepackaged stuff he usually eats.

  (It would seem that enjoying good food and being willing to spend the time
making it are two totally different things.)