SC - Starter Recipes

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Mon Mar 6 12:23:49 PST 2000

My mother had this wonderful cookbook published in 1946 called "You Can Cook
if You Can Read."  All 3 of her girls wanted their own, and I was quite
happy to find a Dover reprint in 1976 called "Cooking For Absolute
Beginners" by Muriel and Cortland Fitzsimmons (yes, she got top billing).
As of 1983, it was out of print but the warehouse still had copies so I
managed to get enough copies for my sisters, my sister-in-law, a newlywed
who didn't cook, and me.

It starts out with preparing to cook and definitions, and goes on to all
types of stoves (even some I hadn't heard of):gas, electric, oil, wood,
coal, gasoline or spirit (Coleman?), to outdoor fires.  It assumes nothing.
My first leg of lamb turned out beautifully thanks to this book, and my ex
loved the chocolate bread pudding.

If you can find a copy, it makes a great primer for any cook (I was making
gravy by the time I was 6 - but my mom couldn't stand the taste/smell of
lamb due to eating too much mutton during WWII.).  I highly recommend this
cookbook.

Raoghnailt
Veritas praevalebit
rygbee at montana.com