SC - question after recipe

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Mar 6 08:42:43 PST 2000

At 11:14 AM -0500 3/6/00, Jeff Gedney wrote:

>Some commercial Vodkas are made from grains (not always from potato
>as popular myth would have it) Therefore, IMHO,  a good quality vodka is
>a perfectly reasonable substitute for period Aquavitae, unless the origin
>of the aquavitae is given in the recipe.
>Vodka Vibarowa is made form rye, for example.

1. At least one of the two cordial recipes that showed up here
recently appears to be from a web page that specifically says the
material on it is not from period sources. I don't think I have seen
any suggestion that the other one is from a period source either.

2. Do you know if (non-potato) vodka is actually period? My
impression is that distilled liquor for drinking is pretty late
period in most of Europe, but earlier in a few places.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/