SC - Borage (was Saxon Violets)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 6 16:24:31 PST 2000

Alys Katharine wrote:
>Witteveen says that "One could make this sugar not only from roses
>but also from violets
>(Viola tricolor L. and Viola odorata L.) and later also from borage
>and rosemary."

Hmmm, sounds good.

Borage flowers are sooo beautiful (ok, so the hairy plants aren't
real pretty but i hear the leaves are good in beverages) and i like
to toss flowers into salads. Besides using the flower to flavor
sugar, were borage leaves used in "sallats" or other dishes? Or does
it just fall into the general term of worts?

While i *may* be able to get some Medieval gourds growing (i just
noticed that the best place would be in front of the trellis hiding
the currently broken hot tub), i doubt i could get borage into the
back yard. There's nothing growing in front of the trellis, but the
landlord is filling other available space with stuff he's getting at
the garden shop or Home Depot or whatever.

It used to be cold, damp, and un-green, just bare hard-packed clay-y
earth, but because the landlord is trying to get a bank loan on the
property, he has rolled out that grass you buy in rolls (turf?),
which seems to be doing well (which is good, it looks like a yard
rather than an abandoned lot), and planted some decorative flowers
(probably won't last long). Now, borage plants, even with their
beautiful blue flowers, just don't look decorative, more like
weeds... sigh. Still, if the decorative plants do die...

Now, i'm not contemplating herbacide, i just figure that, with so
little sunlight in the yard and no one really caring for the "fancy
plants", they might not make it, and i can sneak in some low overhead
plants (and edible, too).

Anahita al-shazhiyya
whose thumb is looking slightly green,
must be the dye fading on one of my linen tunics