SC - Feast Beverages

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 6 21:57:04 PST 2000

Caylee said:
> > I have been known to make up the sekanjabin syrup with spices
> instead of
> > mint (because Somebody used up the mint and didn't tell Mom) though
> > understnd that doing so it is more properly called a jalab.
>
> Lainie this sounds good. I think I'll experi"mint" in the kitchen this
> afternoon. I seem to have a surplus of spices at the moment (went on a
> spice buying binge recently) so this could just be the ticket.

You might want to consider using some of the recipes in this file in
the BEVERAGES section of my files as a starting point. There are a number
of these recipes given by Master Cariadoc (you could also look in the
Miscellany). I had hoped to make serveral of these for my recent Royalty
luncheon but couldn't figure out what some of the spices were or how
to get them since I waited way too close to the event to decide on which
ones to make. So I made a rose jalab and a lime one. I don't think lime
was period though.
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net