SC - QUESTIONS: Chicken in Milk & Honey CURRY

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 10:42:45 PST 2000

Your recipe sounds interesting. A couple of questions though...
Where do you get  petals of 1 Calendula flower ?
Since I am deathly allergic to dairy, can I use rice milk instead?  Or how
about alomond milk?

P Seton

<< 2 lbs. (more or less) boneless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
 olive oil
 1 t. rubbed Sage
 1/2 t. Cardamom
 1/2 t. thyme
 1 t. fenugreek
 petals of 1 Calendula flower
 7 juniper berries
 1 qt. of milk (more or less)
 1/2 c. honey
 1 t. salt

 Fry the Chicken pieces in olive oil until mostly cooked.  Add enough milk
 to completely cover the chicken (a little more would have been better so
 there is enough sauce for the rice).  Add sage, cardamom, thyme and
 fenugreek.  Bring to a boil, and let it cook until the herbs blend with the
 milk.  About 15 minutes.  Add the calendula petals (a distant substitute
 for saffron, marigolds are a closer substitute. I did not have the real
 thing.) salt, honey and juniper berries.  Cook an additional 10 minutes or
 so, until you feel the juniper berries have offered their seasoning, and
 the petals have colored the dish.   Serve over rice.

 This turned out to be a VERY MILD curry, sweet and flavorful without the
 heat. I liked it.  Everyone like it.  But it still wasn't anything near
 what we had at the SCA Revel last month.  I will keep trying.

 -Laurene