SC - Eigl's

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Mar 7 14:07:15 PST 2000

Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:
> >Anyone on the list planning on attending Egil's in An Tir?
> >
> >Seumas
>
> I am HOPING to go to Eigl's this year.  But July 4th is my oldest son's
> birthday (yes, really!!) so most of the time that has not worked out for
> us.  We went as a day-tripper once, and got drenched and came home.

Just to point out, in case there is some confusion- Egil's Skallagrimson
Memorial Tourney is Memorial Day Weekend, in May. The An Tir/West War is
the weekend nearest July 4th (prolly a three/four day event this year. I
don't know for sure).
My oldest daughter's birthday is July 2, and we usually have a party
_at_ the War.

> My
> biggest hurdle is that my husband is NOT excited about the SCA like I am.
> At this point, about the only reason he would agree to going to a camping
> event is if there was some chance that I could make some money there
> selling my DK books, and there has been some controversy about how well
> recieved the books would be.  SO!!!  I am back to the point of not knowing
> if I am going to be able to attend ANY events this summer.  If I can't take
> books for whatever reason (not having a pavillion, not being well recieved,
> etc.) then most likely our family would not be in attendance.
> That is basically what it comes down to for me.  As of yet, he has NEVER
> agreed to camp overnight at an event.  We've attended as day-trippers at a
> few events, but never camped.

A) Having had a husband who was adamantly non-SCA (there are many more
reasons why he is now my ex, but the anti-SCA stuff sure didn't help), I
can sympathize. And I can't say much more than to repeat the mantra of
"I enjoy this group. I have friends here. It provides me an outlet for
my interests in history/gardening/cooking, etc. The events are safe,
welcoming places for adults and children alike, and attending provides
me with positive social interaction that makes me happy." Even if he
doesn't listen to you, it will help you stay centered. Remember that it
is ok to do something for yourself. Speaking as a mom (formerly
homeschooling mom!) Who Did Too Much (ok, Seumas, Who DOES Too Much),
who have to remember to do something for you- to replentish yourself, or
you'll have nothing left to give.

B) About the books- there are some titles in the series (that I have
seen) that would be great for SCA kids. I don't know about the rest. You
might consider widening the net. Just a thought: do you sew? Several
years ago, for several years, I supported my SCA 'habit' by making
children's gear- little tunics, cloaks, hats, etc. I was 'Little Lords
and Ladies' and there may still be some folks out there who remember.
The clothes still walk by me occasionally, on the third or fourth or
whatever kid. I never made _much_ money- usually covered the gas/site
fee expenses, with a little left over to take the kids out to dinner on
teh way home, maybe pay a couple of small bills. You could conceivably
do something like that, maybe adding simple wooden toys? Then you could
put the medievaloid DK books into the mix and they'd 'fit'. Just a
thought. Drop me a note off-list if you like and I could give you some
ideas/tips/etc.

C) About the pavillion- having a pavillion is not as important as being
there adn enjoying yourself (I can't believe I'm saying this!) People
are fairly relaxed in An Tir, and perhaps more so than other areas. I
would say that there are more mundane tents in the camping areas than
real pavillions. Many merchants put up a dayshade, attach a dagged edge
or fringe on the front to fancy it up, and pop the dome tent up behind.
I am not saying this is the best, but many do it, especially when they
are just starting up. You can get fancy later if you continue to do it.
Mnay of the fancy pavillions you see belong to people who have been in
and merchanting ot just playing for many, many years) I'm not sure what
the rules are currently- they had to pass some rather strict rules a
couple of years back after an infestation of blue plastic tarps. But you
can get info from <www.adiantum.peak.org/egils/> and follow the links to
the merchant info.

If you really want to try this- be creative! Be Flexible! (Especially
concerning weather- this is An Tir, after all- rust and mildew are
bigger enemies than any armies arrayed against us!) And let me know if
you have more questions.

'Lainie