SC - syllogisms (was:Food Ingredients Posting)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Mar 8 06:48:50 PST 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Wajdi wrote:

> Wait a minute.  Are you perhaps saying that Marines are mammels?  I
> don't know as how thats quite true.

No, we have only the premises of a catagoric syllogism:

All whales are mammals
All whales are marine.

>From this we know that it is of the form AA*-3.

Some possible conclusions:

AAA-3	All mammals are marine
AAE-3	No mammals are marine
AAI-3	Some mammals are marine
AAO-3	Some mammals are not marine

>From this we can clearly see that all of these would be invalid.

Oh, wait, you where claiming he made an *informal* error. Sorry, and
could you please pass the kvarg, Master A.'s great aunt appears to
be hogging it...

/UlfR
 waiting for someone to catch the inevitable errors

> > Um, I _am_ noticing that the popular trend is to move away from properly
> > constructed syllogisms. Recent examples would include, whales are
> > mammals, and whales are marine, so my great aunt's left elbow is full of
> > quark cheese...and I ate some food recently that I didn't care for, and
> > somebody told me it was period food, so period food stinks. I challenge that!!!

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
`Certain processes are vital to the computer's operation and should not
be killed. For example, after I took the screenshot of myself being
attacked by csh, csh was shot by friendly fire from behind, possibly by
tcsh or xv, and my session was abruptly terminated.' --- dlchao at unm.edu