SC - Salads, anyone? OOP and not

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 15:36:44 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/8/2000 11:04:45 AM Mountain Standard Time,
Aldyth at aol.com writes:

<<  It was from Apicius, and had endive, fresh  herbs, balsalmic vinegar,
olive oil, and sea salt.  Noemi, could you post that one since you did it? >>

Sure. . .

I'll give the translation of Apicius it came from, although I'm not sure
which of the many translations it came from. (We'll have to rely on Mistress
Aldyth for that, since she gave the guild the "assignment" to work this
recipe out, along with some others for our last meeting.)

Seasoned Salad
There may likewise be a seasoned salad from lettuce, borage, mint, calamint,
parsley, wild thyme, marjoram, chevril, sow-thistle, lancet, nightshade,
fenel flower, and other aramatic herb, well washed with the water pressed
out.  They need a large dish.  They ought to be sprinkled with alot of salt
and moistened with oil and a little vinegar.  When they have sat for a little
while their wild toughness demands cutting and chewing.  this is better in
winter than in summer, because it requires strong digestion which is better
in winter.

My version:

Seasoned salad

lettuce
fresh parsley, thyme and marjoram
sea salt
olive oil
balsamic vinegar

Wash lettuce and herbs wel, drain and pat dry.  Cut or tear lettuce into
pieces, and place into a large bowl.  Place herbs over lettuce.  Sprinkle
salt over lettuce and hebs to taste, and then pour olive and vinegar over
salad to taste.

When served I left the salt, oil and vinegar next to the bowl so people could
add more if they wished.

Notes:

I only used a few of the herbs listed because I was unable to find any of the
others. (This is not surprising for this area, and I'm glad I found what I
did.)  I chose to use balsamic vinegar since it has a nice flavor and was not
too overpowering.

Noemi