SC - Fees in General

campcook at uswestmail.net campcook at uswestmail.net
Thu Mar 9 00:38:14 PST 2000

I have a very strong opinion about fees in the SCA in general.
That is, there shouldn't be any.  I also realize that this is not
realistic.  There are expenses involved in almost all that we do.
Whether it is a feast hall, a reservation fee to use the park or
the cost of providing the ingredients for a feast, it all takes
money.

Here in Tyr Ysgithr our goal is to break even at an event.  Thus
we typically have two fees: the site fee (which everyone
participating pays) and the feast fee (which only those who will
be eating the feast pay).  The site fee covers everything related
to the event: including hall rental, table and chair rental (if
necessary), cleaning fees, decorations, etc.  The feast fee
includes: the ingredients, the food service items (if they are
not already part of the baronial feast gear) etc.  Remember, we
are a not for profit organization.  In addition, we remember that
there are those who are feeding large families and set a family
rate if possible.

A typical feast starts with a budget of $5.00 per person.  This
provides two meats, 3 or 4 vegetable dishes, a soup, a bread and
a dessert.  For another $1.00 per head you should be able to add
on an appetizer course and some more filler dishes.  For another
dollar per person, you can serve prime rib.  These prices reflect
an average price of $2.00 per pound of meat, $4.00 if you want
prime rib, a half pound of meat per person.

I play the current adds.  We have four major food market chains
in town.  I seldom buy ahead, as one market or another will be
having a sale on what I am looking for.  So if I can get chicken
for $0.50 per pound, I can buy better quality beef or pork or
even add some fish to the menu.  In places where there aren't as
many shopping choices, you may have to play the adds a bit
longer.

It has been my experience that if you provide a larger meal than
what the five dollars provides, you have a lot of leftovers.
I suspect that the difference between the amount of food that is
reasonable now and what was reasonable in the middle ages, is
simply that in the middle ages a feast lasted several hours, with
the courses spread out over that time.  Today, it seems that if a
feast isn't served and over in an hour to an hour and a half,
people get impatient and start to complain.

This is true not only in the SCA but in the catering business as
well.  I can cater a complete meal which includes prime rib or
16 oz T-bone steaks at a cost of $8.00 including all of the
eating wear (plates, cups, utensils, napkins etc.).  But the meal
will be charged at $15.00-$20.00.  That is where I pay myself,
the waiters, the bus help and additional expenses.

One thing I try to remember while doing a feast in the SCA is
the joy that I get through the service provided and from watching
others enjoy the food I have prepared.  This is where I can have
fun and be creative.  It is amazing how many dishes I have moved
on to my catering menu, that I first tried out at a feast.  Seldom, do I get any complaints from my clients.  My daughter
said to me the other day, "I will eat even the weird looking
stuff if I know that you cooked it.  Because I know it will taste
good."

So, stand your ground and don't let anyone push a markup at you.
If they are doing this, saying that it is to defray dome of the
site costs, they are not planning very well in the first place.

- --
Ld. Steffan of the Close (The Camp Cook) Tir Ysgithr, Atenveldt
(Steven Cowley -- Tucson, Arizona -- scowley at uswest.net)

Vert, three armored arms in triskellion, each maintaining a
spoon, argent, between three cooking pots Or

Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net