SC - RE: SC Verjus

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 10 06:40:34 PST 2000

RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> Ms. Riley also lists a recipe for "Chicken with Verjuice "Amorosa"' by
> Platina from the household of Poggio Bracciolini of Mantua.  Green plum
> verjuice is also called for in her redaction.  Is this documentable
> from the original text?  My Latin and Italian is lousy.

Platina
6.16  Chicken in Verjuice

    Cook chicken with salt meat.  When it is half-cooked, put in the boiling pot
a mash of verjuice grapes with the stones removed from the middle.  Cut parsley
and mint fine, and grind pepper and saffron to powder.  Put all this in the pot
where the pullet has been cooked, and fill the platter immediately.
Appropriately, B. Poggius frequently eats this dish even when I am invited.
There is nothing more healthful, for it is quite nourishing, is easily digested,
agrees with the stomach, heart, liver, and kidneys, and represses bile.

- -Magdalena