SC - Diner language-OOP

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Fri Mar 10 15:51:29 PST 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> What I find interesting is the perceived need for such language.
> Sometimes it's helpful, when the kitchen is noisy, to have something
> sufficiently distinctive-sounding to reduce confusion and errors. One
> might also argue that this is a form of shorthand. However, often
> there's no real reduction in the number of syllables. So, why do it? I
> think it's because diner cookery can be monotonous at times, and this is fun.

[donning anthropologists pith helmet and waiter's three pocket apron]

My opinion is that it's not so much a perceived _need_, as a gradual
cultural shift. Ultimately, the diner slang becomes distinct symbols (as
all words are) used only when referring to the work at hand. In the same
way the medical and science professions use Latin, which not being a
commonly spoken language, the meaning don't migrate and a _precise_
meaning can be assigned to that word which can be adopted by everyone.

Added to that, working in constant close quarters with anyone, groups of
people develop shorthand. Even on this list, we undoubtedly have a
verbal shorthand, referring briefly to ideas we've all already been
introduced to. We get so accustomed to it that we no longer are aware
it's abbreviated speech.

Then there's the added advantage of being able to communicate to your
co-workers in public without over anxious editing and back seat driving
by some customers. Not all, just some. Better they sit back and enjoy
the colourful language and get what they want, not what they are asking
for badly. I've taken an order for eggs over easy, but they didn't want
the eggs runny at all. Tell the kitchen 'over hard' and the customer
would be upset because the really want them 'over easy'....somehow with
hard yolks...  And the colourful language is a humorous way to vent
steam while under pressure.

Seumas