SC - Re: 12th C Anglo Norman ravioli

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Mar 10 23:18:13 PST 2000

Brangwayna gave us her redaction for the 13th century Anglo-Norman
ravioli:
> Modern version by Duncan McBain, Angus Campbell, Brangwayna Morgan
>
> For 25 ravioli:
> 4 cups flour
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 1/2 cup water
>
> Mix together for pasta dough.
>
> Filling:
> 1/2 lb ricotta
> 1/4 lb butter
> 1 shallot, finely chopped
> 1/8 tsp ground sage
> “flowers” of 5 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
>
> Mix filling ingredients together, drop into cut wrappers and seal, then drop
> individually into boiling water for about 5 minutes.  When the dough is sealed, drain, lay on bed of grated mozzarella, top with more mozzarella, and reheat in oven to melt cheese.
>
> It was quite wonderful. with a subtle, rich flavor.

Sounds interesting. Thank you for your redaction. The original recipe was
in my pasta-msg file, but I don't think I had a modern redaction.

But what is this last ingredient? Parsley flowers? Where would you get
this? Or is this some other kind of flowers combined with chopped parsley?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net