SC - Re: Dishe of Snowe, LONG

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 17:04:15 PST 2000

As I had a few requests for the recipe, I'll post it here for anyone who
would like it.

Hauviette

The “main work” herein after referred to is  A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye,
16 Century, edited by Catherine Frances Frere, Cambridge; W. Heffer & Sons
Ltd, 1913, Found in Cariadoc's Miscellany

Sixth dish:A Dish of  Snowe with French Wafers

Original Recipe- Main work page 25
To Make a Dyschefull of Snowe
Take a pottel of swete thycke creame and the whytes of eyghte egges, and
beate them altogether wyth a spone, then putte them in youre creame and a
saucerfull of Rosewater, and a dyshe full of Suger wyth all, then take a
stycke and make it cleane, and then cutte it in the ende foure square, and
therwith beate all the aforesayde thynges together and ever as it ryseth take
it of and put it into a Collaunder, this done take one apple and set it in
the myddes of it and a thicke bushe of Rosemary, and set it inn the  myddes
of the platter, then cast your Snowe uppon the Rosemarye and fyll your
platter therewith. And yf you have wafers caste some in wyth all and thus
serve them forthe.

Redacted Recipe
 take 2 quarts of cream, 8 egg whites, a 1/4 cup of rosewater, 1 cup of sugar
and beat the cream with a wisk and the eggs, rose water and sugar.Mix them
with the cream. Place an apple and a sprig of rosemary in the centre of a
platter and surround with the mixture. If you have wafers, place some in the
dish and serve.

Modern Version : Serves 8
1/2 pint whipping cream
1 egg white
2 tsp rosewater
1/4 cup sugar

Beat the egg white and slowly add the sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat the
whipping cream and rose water until stiff. Blend the two gently with a
folding motion. Refridgerate until used.

French Wafers

The original recipe is found in Le Menagerie de Paris, 1393

Wafers (Gauffres) be made in five ways.  By one method you beat up the eggs
in a bowl then add salt and wine and throw in flour and mix them, and then
put them on two irons, little byb  little, each time, as much paste as the
size of a leche or strip of cheese, and press them between the two irons and
cook on both sides and if the iron doth not separate easily from the paste
grease it before hand.
The third method is that Strained Waffles (Gauffers couleisses) and they be
called strained for this reason only, that the paste is clearer and it as it
were boiled clear, after theaforesaid manner and onto it one scatters grated
cheese and all is mixed together.

The fourth method is flour made into a paste with water, salt and wine
without either eggs or cheese.
Item, the wafer makers make another kind called big sticks (gros bastons)
which be made of flour made into a paste with eggs and powdered ginger.

Modern Recipe based on “pizelle recipe” see below
8 eggs
1c sugar
1 c oil
2 1/2 c flour
2/3 c red wine
 Combine all ingredients. Using a “pizelle” waffle maker ( an Italian waffle
like cookie press) pour approximately 1/8 cup of batter into the base. Press
down and release in about 30 seconds or so. If a pizelle maker is no
available you can simply drop batter onto a hot griddle, although the pizelle
maker creates a beautiful lace like wafers. I don’t own one myself but
enquired with all of my Italian friends and their elderly relatives and
finally came up with someone who was happy to lend it to me. The results were
great.