SC - Help for Eastern European Feast

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Tue Mar 14 06:58:49 PST 2000

david friedman wrote:
> At 2:47 PM -0500 3/13/00, Lurking Girl wrote:
>
> >Better than nothing, though.  Which is what I have as far as Bohemian
> >cooking is concerned. :(
>
> There is a German cookbook from the late 16th century (I think by Max
> Rumpolt, if I'm not confusing it with another one) that contains not
> only recipes (organized by animal) but menus. One group of menus
> consists of four meals for the King of Hungary and Bohemia. Does that
> count?

Nope.  Who cares what those damned Hapsburgs eat?  *snork*

But seriously.  It might be that the German recipe corpus is reasonably
accurate for my period, which would be during the reign of the great Karel,
but since he was big on pushing Czech culture on the Holy Roman Empire
rather than the other way around, I'm thinking that the native cuisine
would perhaps have been dominant.

Or maybe he brought in French cooks, since that's where he grew up.

Argh.

Vika
wondering how old kolatchy might be