SC - Byzantine Bread Stamps

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Mar 14 21:28:09 PST 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Just as most of the vestments have not changed in the
> past 1500 or more years, neither have the Eucharistic
> breads.  The idea of using leavened breads for the
> sacraments is modern (i.e. from within the 20th
> Century.)
>
> Huette

Um, Huette, while I don't know about the breads used for the Host, I
_do_ know that the _vestements_ _have_ changed- the basic pieces are
generally the same, but the ornaments are different, materials vary,
etc. Just as an example, take a look at a bishop's miter now, and
compare it with a bishop's miter from c.1200. There is quite a
difference. And my former teacher, Fr. Augustine Thompson, could tell us
all about it if he were here, but he's in W.Va. now (*sob!*).

The Church may _appear_ monolithic and unchanged, but like most anything
of that nature, the closer we look, the less monolithic it really is...

'Lainie