SC - Byzantine Bread Stamps

Lady Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Wed Mar 15 16:14:35 PST 2000

- ------------APFM24066400

Unto the gathered Cooks does Gwynydd of Culloden send the following:

My Lady is hoping to document her present theory that most "ancient traditions" are less than 200 years old.  So often music or food or dance (or whatever else!)which have been believed to be as old as the hills have been shown to be no older than the trees!  It comes as no surprise that a lot of believers (and indeed priests and other clergy) would fall into that same trap!

At 2000-03-15 15:21:33.250000,
"Laura C. Minnick" (lcm at efn.org) wrote:

> Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> >
> > Just as most of the vestments have not changed in the
> > past 1500 or more years, neither have the Eucharistic
> > breads.  The idea of using leavened breads for the
> > sacraments is modern (i.e. from within the 20th
> > Century.)
> >
> > Huette
>
> Um, Huette, while I don't know about the breads used for the Host,
> _do_ know that the _vestements_ _have_ changed- the basic pieces
> are
> generally the same, but the ornaments are different, materials
> vary,
> etc. Just as an example, take a look at a bishop's miter now, and
> compare it with a bishop's miter from c.1200. There is quite a
> difference. And my former teacher, Fr. Augustine Thompson, could
> tell us
> all about it if he were here, but he's in W.Va. now (*sob!*).
>
> The Church may _appear_ monolithic and unchanged, but like most
> anything
> of that nature, the closer we look, the less monolithic it really
> is...
>
> 'Lainie
> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM24066400--