SC - Byzantine Bread Stamps

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 18:08:48 PST 2000

- --- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:

> Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> >
> > Just as most of the vestments have not changed in
> the
> > past 1500 or more years, neither have the
> Eucharistic
> > breads.  The idea of using leavened breads for the
> > sacraments is modern (i.e. from within the 20th
> > Century.)
> >
> > Huette
>
> Um, Huette, while I don't know about the breads used
> for the Host, I
> _do_ know that the _vestements_ _have_ changed- the
> basic pieces are
> generally the same, but the ornaments are different,
> materials vary,
> etc. Just as an example, take a look at a bishop's
> miter now, and
> compare it with a bishop's miter from c.1200. There
> is quite a
> difference. And my former teacher, Fr. Augustine
> Thompson, could tell us
> all about it if he were here, but he's in W.Va. now
> (*sob!*).
>
> The Church may _appear_ monolithic and unchanged,
> but like most anything
> of that nature, the closer we look, the less
> monolithic it really is...
>
> 'Lainie

Lainie,

As I said, "most" have not changed.  I know that there
are changes.  But the basic vestments or garments and
the basic paraments "mostly" have not changed since
the Byzantine era.  I wasn't talking about the
materials that are used to create these or the
ornaments.  These not only changed from era to era but
also from country to country. But the ornaments or
materials don't change the basic forms of the
vestments. If you look at a current church supply
catalog [I have quite a few] and if you can afford the
outrageous prices charged, you could wear "most" of
them unchanged as Byzantine garb. [Although I probably
would sew on a lot more pearls and precious stones.]
The albs, dalmatics, tunicles, chausibles, scapulars,
maniples, palium, stoles, and robes [although some of
these are unchanged, there have been added a few new
robe designs in the past four or five hundred years]
are "mostly" unchanged.

Many years ago, I bought quite a few yards of
ecclesiastical damasks for several different outfits,
because they were some of the few documentably period
designs.  Twenty years ago, they were $13.50 per yard
and I thought that was very expensive.  Now these same
damasks are $80 to $100 per yard, depending on the
company you order them from.  I wish I had had the
foresight then to have ordered more.  Sigh.

Huette