SC - OT - For Our Inverted Friends in Lochac

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Mar 15 18:07:46 PST 2000

>Hi all,
>
>> The "a" in lamington is pronounced short, as in cat
>Yup - or as Lamb, (for Lamington)
>
>> As to a choko, a haven't a bloomin' idea.
>> -Katerine

>I've eaten them on a regular basis, but have no idea on how to
describe them
>or what their technical name is ..... hmm, time to talk to the hubby.
>
>Mel.

Mel's Hubby here:

The choko is also known as the Chayote (Sechium edule)

See: http://www.cgiar.org/ipgri/Feature/Chayote.htm

The choko is a fruit that grows on a vine and needs warm weather to
ripen.  They look like a large, green pear.  They have white flesh
that is neither sweet or starchy.  The best way to eat them is to peel
them well, split them in half and remove the seed and slice the flesh
into thick strips. Steam them in the microwave for about 8-12 minutes
till they are soft and sprinkle freshly ground (coarse) pepper and
some coarse sea salt and a big knob of fresh uncultured butter. YUM.

When steamed they have a vague stewed apple taste and seem to absorn
other flavours.

As far as I am aware, they are native to central america and I have
yet to see a reference in period.  It's certainly not in Gerald's
Herbal.

A picture of Chokoes:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/9810/28/national/national3.html

A recipe from the Web is attached (Thanks to the Sydney Markets),
I'll try it on the weekend and yet you know how it tastes...

Cheers,

Drake.

Szechwan Choko, Cabbage and Chicken Stir- Fry

          600g chicken thigh fillets, roughly
          chopped
          2-3 tablespoons Chinese Szechwan
          (medium) paste (Song Gai brand)
          1 tablespoon peanut oil
          1 onion, roughly chopped
          600g choko (approx. 2 medium),
          peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
          2/3 cup chicken stock
          1/2 small cabbage, shredded

          In a medium bowl combine chicken with
          Szechwan paste. Cover and allow to stand
          10 minutes.

          Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a wok over
          high heat. Add half the chicken and stir-fry
          for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is golden
          and tender.  Place chicken onto a plate
          and set aside.  Repeat with remaining
          chicken.

          Heat remaining oil in the wok, add onion
          and stir-fry for 1 minute or until tender.
          Add choko and stock, cover and cook for
          4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until
          choko is tender.

          Add the chicken and stir-fry, uncovered,
          until chicken is heated through.  Stir in the
          cabbage and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until
          the cabbage is just wilted.  Serve
          immediately.