SC - viking age porridge

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 06:33:11 PST 2000

>First, and simplest.  Boil dried peas and barley until tender and add
>(sheep's?) butter for flavor.  Season with whatever savory spices or herbs
>you have. (salt, garlic, rosemary, etc....)
>Still not a documentably period recipe, no one wrote it down, but simplest
>is
>always the best.

Actually, it's extremely documentable as far as food goes, because THIS is
right in front of you and we know they ate it.  Probably would have been
more like this:

cook peas and barley in sheeps milk until soft,
(it said milk, not curd)
mash (or cook into a paste), flavor & eat.

I'd be wary and only use herbs available in the area at the
time.

There's more than one way to make it, but the simplest is usually
best.

Later.

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG
Shire of Abhainn Ciach Ghlaiss

"She thinks I'm iron man that I don't feel pain
I don't understand why joy must be vain
I'm so fortunate but filled with self hate
But the mirror shows the alien race"

     "World Coming Down" -- Type O Negative