SC - Speaking of Birthdays

Marian Rosenberg Brucianna at washcoll.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:33:53 PST 2000

> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:43:39 EST
> From: allilyn at juno.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Speaking of Birthdays
>
> Happy Birthday, Marian!  (And I was feeling old without any help, thanks)
> ;-)
>
> It's Spring.  Get an herb and wild plant book, with good illustrations,
> out of the college library, and go hunt for a salad.  Let us know what
> you find that resembles European wild salads.  Everybody has to start
> somewhere.  (And keep your shoes on out in the wilds).

I've been eyeing the hundreds of daffodils starting up out of the ground
next door to me.  I have to find out who owns that lot and if they'd
mind me snagging a few for a salad or ganishes.  As for wilds, there
aren't much of any.  The Eastern Shore has been cultivated for
centuries.  This is one of those sections of the East Coast where they
haven't let the trees grow back yet.  This is the town portion of farm
country.  Everyone mows, and some places (like my college) spray
everything with pesticides.

Next time I'm in DC though, I'm thinking a spinach, dandelion, and
daffodil salad would be nice.  This yard is intentionally kept as wild
as the town covenant will allow and the owner of said yard likes growing
intriguing plants, fruits, and veggies.

- -M