SC - Food at A&S Competitions

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Thu Mar 16 21:38:55 PST 2000

Brighid,

At the Ice Dragon Pentathalon, last year, I took a duck dish, with
recipes and citations and bibliograpy from a number of sources on similar
duck recipes, and why I had done what I did.  This was one I'd created
and I wanted to know how cooking judges would react to originality.  I
took my crock pot, plugged it in so that the food was hot.  I had plastic
spoons, small plastic bowls, and paper napkins.  The comments were nice,
but in spite of a heavy emphasis in originality in most things, it was
not as appreciated in cookery.  They liked the dish so much, it was
almost gone, and I'd thought that 3 of us would have it for dinner.  We
got a taste!

The winner was Katya, who did a sausage recipe from Sabina Welser, I
think it was.  She had the little links coiled on a bed of shredded
lettuce on a pretty plate, and the presentation was very nice.  I don't
remember if she had mustard and bread to go with them.

I learned the things I wanted to learn about the competition, and despite
the easy clean-up and sanitary practice of fresh disposables, if I get to
go this year, I'll put hot food in a silver chafing dish, and have much
better presentation.  I will also present a dish I translated and
redacted from the Rheinfrankisches Kochbuch that went well at Crown
Tourney--the walnuts.  And, maybe more.  It is tricky to be both safe,
and away from the entry, not knowing how soon or late your judges will
show up.

In the Midrealm pents of long ago, they did an entire meal.  At Ice
Dragon you are limited to 3 entries, and there are main dishes, desserts,
etc. categories.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com