SC - Evolution of food-genetics of food

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 05:06:14 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/17/2000 5:15:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rachel at witchwood.prestel.co.uk writes:

> Incidentally I don't eat
>  GM food only organic.

I've held my tongue through this question several times, and with apologies
to you Lady Rachel, as you only supplied the opening for me to get my
particular point across, I must ask this question.

Do they label GM food where you are? Because that's the issue as far as I'm
concerned, that and the damage that GM foods do to the ecosystem, such as the
decimation of the monarch butterfly population.

My point is, they don't label them here and I can buy lots of "organic"
products that are as GM as anything on the non-organic market. I'm content to
let the market decide, as long as I have the ability to make a choice. There
are at present no labeling laws to distinguish genetically modified and non
genetically modified foods. And the way the agribusiness interests are
fighting it, there probably won't be in the near future.

Please forgive my little rant, but I personally think a little forethought
will go a long way when we tinker with life on a piecemeal basis.

Corwyn