SC - Milham's Platina

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Sat Mar 18 14:24:33 PST 2000

How much different is the paperback from the hard cover?  I just ordered
the paperback from B&N as it was cheaper and I didn't know that there
was a difference in the two editions.  Is her translation the best of
the bunch or do people on the list recommend a different one?
> Daniel Raoul

I'd recommend the Milham version.  I haven't seen the abridged version,
so I don't know what they took out.  The hardcover version not only
gives you a reprint of the original Latin with her translation, but a
section on the life of Platina and an analysis of the influences on "De
Honesta Voluptate."  The other commonly used version is the Mallinckrodt
Collection of Food Classics, circa 1967.  Since it's a lot older, it's
obviously harder to find and more expensive.  The major benefit of this
version is that it has a photocopy of the original Latin text, so that
those who read Latin can do their own translation/interpretation.  It
doesn't provide the additional information found in the Milham version.
In addition, the translation is typed in all block capitals, which I
find harder to read than the Milham version.  Members of this list have
found errors in both versions, and I don't read Latin, so I can't say
which is the more accurate translation.  However, owning both, I prefer
the Milham version.

John le Burguillun