SC - Re: Daylilies

Marian Rosenberg Brucianna at washcoll.edu
Sun Mar 19 09:54:55 PST 2000

> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 23:16:12 EST
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Daylilies (Was SC - Birthdays and Daffy Dills)
>
> In a message dated 3/18/00 1:50:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:
>
> << I can't imagine your mystery flower being anything but a member
>  of the genus Hemerocallis, >>
>
> OK. The flower seems to be daylily as perceived by the majority of responses
> to the somewhat cryptic description as opposed to crocus. To be sure, could
> the original poster describe the length of the stem, whether it had more than
> one bloom or bud to a stem and if it is blooming now (location would be
> desirable) what is the approximate season in your location. The only thing
> that even remotely resembles the flower as described, in my part of the world
> at this time (Northcentral PA), is a crocus. They are not edible. Spring
> blooming crocuses are poisonous and only 1 fall blooming species (e.g., the
> saffron crocus) is edible SFAIK.

Location is Maryland.  It is currently not blooming.  Since it would be
at summer camp when I would gorge myself on these from the hundreds of
them planted all over I'm going to guess blooming time would be
mid-July.

Last year the not-so-empty lot near my current residence still had some
when I went looking for housing right before Pennsic.

> Also, the daylily does not taste like 'lettuce' but rather its taste
more
> closely resembles a mild corn flavor.

I was trying to think of an approximation to the flavor with only
memories of something I haven't eaten in over a year, that description
works too.