SC - Re: 12th C Anglo Norman ravioli, "Harpestraeng"+ ftp

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 19 23:30:48 PST 2000

Nanna answered Allison with:
> Allison wrote:
> >I was reading the Florilegium file on  "Harpestraeng" yesterday.  I have
> >Cariadoc's Vol. I, in which it appears (in teeny, teeny print) and tried
> >to see if there was anything on-line about it beyond the file, which ends
> >with Nana's message that she will post her comparisons of the 3 versions
> >she has, after Pennsic.  Did you ever do that, Nana?
>
> A few of them, yes - I think I¥ve maybe posted 6-7 recipes in all. I¥ve been
> meaning to do the rest (around 25 recipes) for a long time but haven¥t found
> time for it - and since the deadline for a book I¥m working on was recently
> moved forward a few months, I¥m not sure if I will be able to finish the
> translations until maybe in a couple of months. I also want to translate
> more recipes from the 1616 Danish cookbook.

I just checked the file I have for messages waiting to go into the Harpestraeng
file:
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                       cookbook in the Western world.

But that file did not contain any recipes. However those are the kinds of
messages I like to save. It is possible that I have saved these recipes
posted by Nanna into files meant for specific food files such as fish-msg,
puddings-msg etc. While I might also try to put such recipes in both
files, I think I may have been trying to give just a few recipes in this
file to give an idea of the recipes in this cookbook collection, yet not
get the comments about the cookbook(s) themselves buried in a bunch of
recipes since this file was meant to be mainly about the cookbook and not
a file of recipes.

I am certainly willing to listen to suggestions on how better to organise
things.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net