SC - Restrictive Feasts: Was: pewter casting & multiple feasts

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Mon Mar 20 06:06:12 PST 2000

Okay... I've got put in a few words here.  Number One, I have lived and SCAed
in most Kingdoms of the Known World except Ealdormere and An Tir (I did live
in Oregon, but did not SCA there)  And I do not mean that I dropped in for a
day or weekend visit.  I mean I set up housekeeping and lived there.

Now the word "Feast" can mean many things to a newcomer.  Mostly it means:
Serving Food.  Now I tried to find the orginal post to check out the
circumstances surrounding the refusal, but was unable to.  So.. if My
comments from here on out are totally off-base, please forgive me.

I have been to events in many Kingdoms where there are times that food is
served and it is not open to the masses. Maybe you do not think about it...
After a Crown List in the morning, do the current Royals have a luncheon with
the new Highnesses and a few Peers while the masses eat in the feast hall or
bring their own food?  How about when the Knights meet - do they get together
for breakfast in a private place and eat and keep all the non-knights from
eating with them?   How about the Queen's tea at Pennsic?  Can the unwashed
masses drop in for crumpets (or whatever you'all eat?)  :-)     How about
when a Household or group gets together at an event and serves food for JUST
THEM?   I have been to events where there is Pre-registration and Feast is
sold out before I get there ('cause I did not pre-register)  I have had to
explain to a newcomer who just showed up that they cannot eat feast because
it is sold out, but that perhaps they should talk to the Hall Stewart, Cook,
Autocrat, whoever, to see if there was any cancellations.  I have had them
upset saying, "but I thought I was _supposed_ to be fed."  Some events do NOT
have a "on-board and off board" price.  It is one price for the event.

Now think of these situations, then think with the "eyes of a newcomer".  You
paid your fee to the event.  You know (or think) that you are supposed to be
fed.   You go to the feast hall and are served your dinner.  You notice at
the event others are eating other things and/or are dining at other locations
than you are... does this seem "fair" to you?   It might not if you do not
understand what is happening.   You may not know that the other situations
are "private".  That they were paid for by the partipants and NOT through the
"general fund".   Just because it happened at a Coronation does not mean that
it was the "Coronation Feast".  Now, I am not saying that it did not happen
just the way this thread thinks that it did.  I just wanted to point out that
things are not always what they seem (yes, I am sure that most people on this
List realize that, but you never know...)

Also I am having a slight problem with this idea of "fair or fairness".  Like
I told my children over and over when they were growing up: Live is not fair.
 There is no rule that says it should be.  There are people that will have
more or less than you do.  Fairness has nothing to do with it.

The SCA is set up with a system of "haves" and "don't have at the moment".
That is the way it is.  And you know... as one of the "don't have at the
moment" people... I don't mind.  But I can understand how it might bother
some people.  I think that preparing "special foods and dishes" for the Royal
is neat.  I do not feel "put out" that as one of the "little people" I didn't
get any even if the money DID come from SCA funds (now don't explain Corpora
and Kingdom Law to me - I understand the rules)

That is just how I feel.

Rayne

 In a message dated 3/20/00 7:14:16 AM Central Standard Time,