SC - Lunches in general

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 20 15:29:28 PST 2000

Christi Rigby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, I have to ask.  Are lunches period?  I  mean lunches as we do them now a
> days.  Or were they more like Supper/Dinner in the southern states.  I can't
> see someone working all day in the fields and coming in for a small
> sandwich, then back out all day.  Even in the pioneer period of the states
> usually what you served at lunch (supper I think) was a huge meal to keep
> your energy up and dinner (?) was often a smaller meal with leftovers from
> the earlier meal.

As I understand it, the Main Meal was in the middle of the day, with a
brief bite in the morning and a light supper in the evening (if at all-
there are plenty of clerical admonitions against eating in the evening-
it leads to lechery and other forms of dissolute living). In the US
pioneer days, the main meal at midday was called Dinner, the lighter
meal in the evening was Supper. I remember being mighty confused at the
Little House books until my mother explained this to me.

'Lainie