SC - Catalan

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 22 08:54:21 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain noted that there are no Catalan-English dictionaries on the Web.  True, according to the listing at http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/diction3.html#catalan (although they have a Greek-Catalan one, and another that appears to be only Catalan), but if you look under "Catalan Grammars" you can pick up quite a lot (website: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/grammars1.html#catalan)

Catalan looks like Spanish with Italian endings.  When I studied in Spain I visited friends in Barcelona, who were enjoying the ability to speak their native language again after years of oppression under the Franco regime.  Many street signs and billboards were in Catalan alone, or Catalan and Spanish.  They also gave me a book that was, IIRC (it's not handy by), bilingual in Catalan and English.  At least one of the grammar websites also contains bilingual texts.

                            ---= Morgan