SC - Macrows vs the computer

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 24 19:56:17 PST 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> PLEEEEZ Master, Please don't tell my teen-aged computer-type son that I made
> that mistake!!!  <cringe>
> P. Seton
> PS. The very image of you eating your pasta makes me swoon!
> Oh and PPS:  Do you have a recipe for  _macrows_?  I'd love to have  a recipe
> for it.  :-)

Well, I can easily tell you how they tend to be made, although I'm a
little too fried for small-print recipe transcribing right now. All they
are is a noodle made of flour and water mixed to make a firm dough which
is kneaded until smooth and non-sticky, then rolled out thinly and cut
into strips. Some recipes call for them to be hung up and dried a bit,
some don't.

They get boiled in stock or water, drained, and served in a bowl with
butter and grated cheese "ruayne", a not-very-old, rich white cheese,
something like new brie without the rind, named, apparently, for the
town of Rouen in Normandy. Some versions of the basic recipe call for a
sprinkling of spice powder on top.

I've found lovely eggless noodles, both dry and fresh ones, in some of
the Asian markets in my area, that are a nice substitute for making your
own, both because they are eggless, and they tend to be made from a
relatively soft wheat. I don't think these are supposed to end up al dente.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com