SC - German Spätzle

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sat Mar 25 21:02:18 PST 2000

>>I may be wrong, but I must assume, that this one is a modern recipe
with a fake "medieval" title.<<

I often suspect that of Fahrenkamps' recipes, the more I learn about the
truly period work.

>>Do you mean the "Granatapffel" from 1709? First ed. in 1697. Could you
specify the number or the page in the 1709 edition?<<
I have to take it back, Thomas.  I thought I had a a noodle/dumpling like
spaetzle in _Granat-Apfel_, but I've just looked at the dumpling section
and didn't find it.

>>Ahem, as I was born a Suebian, I must say, that it is a suebian
noodle<<
OK, my family would agree with you, so I won't argue!

So, we don't know how far back it goes, or what it was called originally?
 What a shame if we can't have spaetzle.  It's so good, and a favorite
with feasters.  What, besides a 'kloster' is period for pasta in Germany?
 Is the Cooking College wrong, too?

Don't worry about a day or two answering--I can't read fast enough to
keep up with this list!  (And I read pretty fast!)

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com