SC - Re: table eating utensils

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Sun Mar 26 13:02:21 PST 2000

Stefan quotes and writes:

>  > << The fundraiser also featured no silverware, as they thought
>  >  medieval man ate without utensils. >>
>  >
>  > Actually, they did eat without utensils other than a knife until
> relatively
>  > late in period. This is the reason why you only use your right hand to
> serve
>  > yourself food with (your left being used for personal cleansing).
>
>  Hmm. Yes, I believe this left-handed thing was a tradition in the Middle
> East.
>  Do you have any evidence that this was ever done with any consistancy in
>  the non-Moslem parts of Europe?

I have recently been looking at medieval illuminations of diners at table,
trying to answer this very question.  For the most part, diners are eating
with their right hands, but every now and then, with their left hands (see:
http://www.50megs.com/matterer/medpix/gallery1/mpix18.htm).  In some pictures
the diners are reaching into the dishes with one hand while holding morsels
of food in the other
(http://www.50megs.com/matterer/medpix/gallery4/mpix115.htm).  So it seems as
though the Islamic stricture against eating with the left hand did not apply
in medieval Christendom.  Perhaps the custom of public hand washing before
dinner had something to do with this.

Rudd Rayfield