SC - Dying Appliances WAS: *GRUMBLE*

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Sun Mar 26 16:12:42 PST 2000

I know that dying appliances is a great concern for my lord and as we travel.
 If we come home to a dead refrigerator it would be a case of throwing
everything away.  But my worry was always the power going out for a few
days/weeks/months and then coming on again and re-freezing everything.  To
know if this has happened this is what I do:

I place a clean, empty plastic butter container in the freezer compartment of
my refrigerator and my upright freezer.   In the butter containers I place
three square ice cubes.  If the power goes out the ice will begin to melt. If
the power comes back on the ice will re-freeze in the shape of the butter
container.  If I return and the ice is completely melted or, a solid block in
the butter container, I know that the power was out long enough to place my
food safety in danger.

Just an idea to pass along...

Rayne

In a message dated 3/26/00 1:21:22 PM Central Standard Time,