SC - White Leach Recipe?

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Mon Mar 27 17:05:03 PST 2000

- ------------APFM25560680

Now, this recipe perfectly illustrates my point about wanting redacted recipes !  "take isninglass...", but how much?  I have never cooked with isninglass and don't have the faintest idea of its properties.  Or, for that matter, how much milk is required.  In truth, I only know that it will be a jelly-like substance because you lot have told me so!

Gwynydd of Culloden

At 2000-03-28 10:18:26.453001,
Philip & Susan Troy (troy at asan.com) wrote:
> From Gervase Markham's "The English Housewife", 1615. I've got the
> Michael Best edition...
>
> "152		TO MAKE LEACH
> 	To make the best leach, take isinglass and lay it two hours in
> water,
> and shift it and boil it in fair water and let it cool: then take
> almonds  and lay them in cold water till they blanch: and then
> stamp
> them and put to new milk, and strain them and put in whole mace and
> ginger sliced, and boil them till it taste well of the spice; then
> put
> in your isinglass and sugar, and a little rosewater: and then let
> them
> all run through a strainer."
>
> The editor of the roll of "Ancient Cookery" in Cariadoc's
> Collection of
> Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks has a note concerning leches and
> various permutations of the word. In this note he mentions an
> author
> named Rand. Holme who defines "leach" as having been as described
> above.
> There's really nothing (at least among the evidence I have) to
> place the
> white leach made with isinglass, etc., as being
> late-fourteenth-century,
> but as I say, I looked in several sources and this is where I
> found it:
> square in the beginning of the seventeenth. YMMV.
>
> Oh, well.
>
> Adamantius
> --
> Phil & Susan Troy
>
> troy at asan.com
> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM25560680--