SC - Period Ingredients Master List

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Mar 28 11:13:33 PST 2000

I'm sorry, but I must disagree.  There are times when using a period recipe that
the ingredients called for are not available.  Often it is possible to make a
substitution that will make it possible to complete the dish.  It would be good to
have a listing to make sure that the ingredient we're going to use is period.

Also, I believe that it is possible...though I know that this is heresy...to
construct a dish using period ingredients, but without having an actual recipe.  I
have encountered references to dishes in period literary sources for which I can
find no recipe.  I have then constructed something that I think would be what the
dish would consist of...and have used whatever information I could find to make
sure that my ingredients were all period, along with the way in which they were
used.

Kiri