SC - OOP - Resturant Talk

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 28 18:13:22 PST 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> > RichSCA at aol.com wrote:
> > >
> > > A Taylor's Maid-Rite is a loose meat sandwich made
> > of
> > > finely ground hamburger. The hamburger is cooked
> > and put in a bun, then
> > > served with mustard, pickles or chopped onions.
> > Maid-Rite restaurants are
> > > franchises located mainly in Iowa and the midwest.
> > But now, thanks to
> > > Taylor's Maid-Rite in Marshalltown, you can enjoy
> > the great taste of a
> > > midwest tradition without leaving your home.
> >
> > I wonder what the industrial rationale is for not
> > forming a patty, yet
> > still calling this a hamburger variant. A hamburger
> > is a Hamburger
> > Steak, originally made (in Hamburg, Germany) by
> > pounding beef cutlets
> > with a slice of fat, folding and pounding again,
> > like Damascus steel,
> > until fairly homogeneous. I have seen recipes dating
> > from the turn of
> > the century that don't mention ground meat, but it
> > would be kind of
> > labor-intensive to do this in quantity for a
> > restaurant, as would
> > scraping the beef to a pulp, the OTHER way it used
> > to be done. I suspect
> > grinding the beef might have come into its own for
> > restaurants that sold
> > Hamburger Steak sandwiches in quantity (often on
> > sliced bread, BTW, not
> > on buns).
> >
> > Could it be that the Loose Meat Hamburger is derived
> > from the need to
> > make them quickly without taking the time to form a
> > patty, or could it
> > simply be derived from some completely different
> > tradition from the
> > Hamburger Steak?
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> In California, they are called Sloppy Joes.  Altho' I
> think that the additives are somewhat different. They
> usually are pickles, onions, olives, cheese, and
> lately, they have been adding chili sauce.
>
> Huette

Yeah, they have Sloppy Joes here on the East Coast too, but I don't
think I've ever seen them sold commercially, except in cans and perhaps
in school cafeterias. I get the impression that the loose meat
sandwiches don't have a binder of tomato/chili sauce like Sloppy Joes, though.

I really wonder if there's a German version of collops or mince,
possibly from the nineteenth century, that may have been the inspiration
for the loose meat burger.

Drat! You people are doin' it to me again!

Adamantius (searching freezer)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com