SC - Period Ingredients Master List

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 28 23:07:35 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> And it came to pass on 28 Mar 00,, that CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there is currently a Master list of "period"
> > ingredients we can access to make our jobs a little easier?
>
> Wouldn't such a list would have to be subdivided by time and place?
> Olive oil is "period", for example, but it would not be appropriate for
> cooking a 15th century Anglo-Normal feast.
>
> Or are you thinking in terms of: what fruits/cheeses/raw veggies, etc.,
> would have been eaten in period, and therefore not be out of place on a
> generic dayboard?
>
> In either case, I suspect that much of what you want is already in the
> Florilegium.

This project could get pretty complex. Whole books are written on
subsets or variations of this, although not specific to the SCA time
period or area such as Waverly Root's "Food".

I do believe that some interior boundaries need to be set, and not
just used in Europe and enviorns prior to 1600 AD.

Yes, much of this material can be found in various places in the
Florilegium but not in an easily accessible form.

If someone would like to take on such a project, I think we can
set an area up on the Florilegium server for this. Email me and
we can discuss things.
   Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net