SC - Garlic methods - OOP(?)

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Mar 29 07:20:29 PST 2000

> Just invite everyone you know or are likely to spend any time with, and
> then you'll all be in the same boat and won't complain.

I've alway called Garlic the "food of love" because you BOTH have to
have it, or neither.

> BTW, other versions I've seen call for cooking this on top of the stove,
> and specify all oil and no butter, so at least cholesterol is not an
> issue. Fat, on the other hand, even if mono-unsaturated... ;  )

YesssssssMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

I _love_ doing this.
The trick is to cook the garlic through without burning the oil
if you do it right, the garlic is crunchy/chewy and sweet as candy, and
the oil is fragrant and pungeant without being obnoxious.
Adding butter to the oil is an interesting variation...
Not burning the oil would become much harder, unless the butter is
clarified, but I would think that the oil would overwhelm the butter without
the butter solids.

I have found that it cooks a little quicker if the garlic cloves are cut up a
_little bit_ , not chopped, but _very_ coarsely chunked.
the smaller pieces of garlic will last longer, I have found, as the whole garlic
cloves get scarfed up in the first couple of minutes (usually while I am
getting the rest of the meal to table!!).

(BTW, I thought that both Olive Oil and Garlic were GOOD for your
cholesterol... This would be "Cardio Manna form heaven", as opposed to
Steamed Loose Meat and Cheese Sammiches, the "Cardiac Feast of Death")

Does any of this have period antecedants?
the only PERIOD "Eat the Garlic for its own sake" recipe I have seen is
Aquapatys ...  are there any others?

Brandu