SC - olives

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 30 03:45:30 PST 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/28/00 11:07:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> stefan at texas.net writes:
>
> > Did you use olives that had already
> >  been pickled or were they fresh? Since these do seem to be pickled
> >  in this recipe in oil and vinegar it may not matter but if fresh
> >  they probably aren't "ready to use"
>
> Fresh (meaning uncured or unpickled) olives are usually very bitter, and
> almost inedible.  I think we can assume, unless otherwise stated, that any
> reference to olives in these posts refers to cured olives.  Right guys and
> gals?  Please say I'm right...

Cato, who devotes a fair amount of his text to olives, seems to suggest
that there are olives that are cured somehow, and those that are pressed
for oil without curing. For practical purposes, yeah, I'd agree, olives
that are intended for eating are processed somehow to remove that
chemical whose name I'll remember after I've had my dish of tay, that
makes them taste nasty. The chemical and the olives, not the tay.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com