SC - Junket

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Wed Mar 29 22:00:28 PST 2000

Good God, woman, you've got the beginings of cheese. You could just rewarm
it, hope for the best. Or, add more rennet (junket brand dessert IS rennet,
btw, just very weak). Keep it warm, add more rennet dissolved in warm water
and wait for it to set up (add a little yoghurt or sour cream or buttermilk
to hasten the process). When it sets up, either eat it as sturdy junket, or
mash it up a bit, drain it through cheesecloth like yoghurt cheese, and
serve it to your extremely lucky family with the garnish of choice. Think of
it on plain bagels with strawberries. Or fresh bread. Or spooned straight
from the bowl, with a dab of raspberry jam. Yummmmmm. When's dinner?

Aoife

    Original MSG
Unto the Gathered Cooks does Gwynydd send the following:

Can anyone tell me what to do with a failed junket?  It didn't set, probably
(I NOW realise) because I used 1/2 long-life milk and 1/2 cream (the
proportions of cream to milk are about right - the recipe called for light
cream and the lightest cream we can get here is 34% so one uses 1/2 and
1/2.).  It is no great loss, and I can always have another go, but I do now
have a largish quantity of failed junket - do I have rose and vanilla
milkshakes (yes, I know that vanilla isn't period, but they were all out of
plain junket tablets), or is there someway I can still take this to the
pot-luck this Saturday?

Also, can anyone think of any other reasons it might not have set?  I did
double the quantity and it is in a large bowl (I kind of thought that the
reason for suggesting individual serves was simply to do with the whey
separating out when it is cut into - is there another reason?).

Gwynydd of Culloden